New Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Letters to the Editor

Go down

Letters to the Editor Empty Letters to the Editor

Post  Morrigan Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 am

Dear Sirs,
It is with interest that I see the "coming out" of the vampires in New Zealand. Although there are similarities with other minority groups, there is a distinction that is new in this case, which has profound impact on the law of this country. Namely that vampires are dead, or rather they are no longer alive, as we humans have known it.

If they have died, there should be a death certificate issued by the Department of Internal Affairs. Or if the person has been missing for so long their heirs/estate can set forth a statutory declaration that they are dead. At this point these people no longer have an legal status. They cannot access any personal funds, or vote, or own property or pay rates and taxes.

But they are still citizens of New Zealand.

They still live in our country, use our roads and city services. They pay taxes and have thoughts and opinions the politicians need to represent. They should be bound by the same laws as any person laid down by the government of New Zealand. These laws were created for the greater good of a civilised society. Some of us may find some of them irksome some of the time. Should the kindred of vampires be any different?

Should they be allowed to roam the streets as gangs of thugs and bullies? Not existing in the systems of modern society, thinking they above such mundane mortal matters. Or should they be held accountable for their actions by the Police and law systems that the rest of us have to work with? I think they should, but to do this, they need to be a legally recognised person.

Which brings me around to my opening point. The statutes of New Zealand may need a new category, or need to redefine the existing. A status of half-dead, or long-living or whatever the vampires deem most appropriate to call themselves. This can then properly recognise their birth dates, even if they are over hundred years ago. We can thank the Y2K bugs for the fact that our computer systems deal with 4 digit years now - all the hard work has been done.

There will be many laws that may need modifying to take in account this new status, such as the dying intestate, that is without a will. Instead of the estate being left to the next-of-kin by default, if a person is transformed, their property and funds remains their own. I would recommend people update their wills for the possible event of "transformation into a vampire" as well as in the event of their death.

Human Rights law prevents discrimination on gender, race or religion. This needs to be extended or modified so that discriminating against the half-dead is also illegal.

Does the New Zealand Building Code allow for buildings be built that are suitable for vampires, such as habitable spaces without any windows that would let in sunlight that would burn them up.

Criminal Law counts coercion against someone's will to be a crime. Is it also criminal to change somebody's mind against their will, by manipulating their actual thought processes?

Speed limits on our roads have been calculated based, amongst other things, on the human thought processing and reaction times. If vampires can move and react so much quicker, then they are safe to drive at speeds over 100kmh. Especially at night, when they can see in the dark, and there is little other traffic about.

And then there are the activities that occur in daytime which need modifying for those that only come out at night. I'm sure that the internet has made this a lot easier than it was in the past, but there is still room for improvement. A civilised society is a knowledgeable society. And if the vampires are such long lived creatures, then they have great opportunity to learn much. Such a simple thing as extending library hours to midnight would ensure the vampires have easy access to improve their life in a civilised way.

Voting in the general elections are held in person, during the day. Does the "special votes" system allow for postal votes, and is being a nocturnal person listed as a valid reason for casting one? Or should general elections only be held on the winter solstice, when the hours of darkness are at their greatest?

These night time services would be beneficial to all shift workers in our modern society. Indeed, if employers had vampires working the night shift, which in effect is their daytime, there could be an argument in reducing higher night-time pay rates. Does the Employment Contract Act need tweaking to allow for this?

I fear that there is no quick and easy answer. I appreciate that the wheels of justice and law can turn slowly. I but think that these are important issues that need to be discussed with great urgency by the members of parliament and the judicial system. I call upon yourself and your readers to write to parliament and urge the politicians to an urgent resolution to all of these sorts of issues.

Unless the religious groups call a crusade upon themselves to effectively carry out genocide, it would seem that the vampires among us are not going to go away. Let New Zealand be at the forefront of vampire emancipation in the world, as it was with giving women the power to vote in 1893.

(Name and address supplied and withheld on request)
Morrigan
Morrigan
Goddess of War, Revenge, Night, Magic and Prophecy

Location : In the form of a crow, flying above the battlefields

http://newhorizons.vampire-legend.com

Back to top Go down

Letters to the Editor Empty Re: Letters to the Editor

Post  Morrigan Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:33 am

July 2010 - letter to the Editor

Not long ago a man possessed by hate tried to kill one of my people. Tried to destroy her and put out her light, but his real target was the light of peace. The same peace that in the mid 1940’s I and others of my kind fought so hard to protect in our mortal lives. The same peace that, after the war when I returned, I defended along side members of the New Zealand Police force. The peace that has existed between vampires and humans that has resulted in the protection of both of our kinds from hatred and ignorance.

But I will not respond in kind to this man, I will seek no retaliation. For we nurture our collective societies. Wether you know or not for centuries we have walked the night, sheltered you and protected you. For we can not exist with out you. And now that we are revealed we are eager to contribute more to society, but we are limited in how much by our reluctance to show ourselves. A reluctance caused by certain group's fear, fear of the unknown and new. A fear that causes them to plague our clubs with vermin, lie about us and accuse and attack our people. So for now we will do what we can, continue to make our contributions from the safety of anonymity, but it is my fervent hope that one day we may openly live amongst you. In peace.

-WHC
Morrigan
Morrigan
Goddess of War, Revenge, Night, Magic and Prophecy

Location : In the form of a crow, flying above the battlefields

http://newhorizons.vampire-legend.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum